My green smoothie recipe yields much more smoothie than you will need for the cupcakes. Go ahead and drink the extra smoothie while you are working.
Yield: 16 cupcakes
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 of a banana
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Put all ingredients in a blender (I use a Vitamix, which does an amazing job at turning spinach to liquid) and blend until smooth.
Green Smoothie Cupcake Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cup cake flour, not self-rising
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup green smoothie (from above)
Green Smoothie Cupcake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Mix in sugar and honey.
- Mix in eggs.
- Mix in oil and smoothie until fully combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Green Smoothie Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup green smoothie (from above)
Green Smoothie Buttercream Frosting Directions:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix butter and powdered sugar for about three minutes on high-speed.
- Mix in the green smoothie a little bit at a time.
- Spread or pipe on cooled cupcakes.